Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It’s been dull – no, really dull, dull, dull

Life has a routine about it at the moment. It’s been a bit of bad weather keeping us from walking down the park and back each night so we play tug-of-war till the lackey’s shoulder is dislocated or we go over to see Dylan and his lackey for food and games of tag while the lackey’s chatter away like the furless monkeys they are. There have been a few fun moments scattered about but only a few. A bit of an embarrassing admission but I fell out of bed the other night. The best spot on a windy, wet night is to be snuggled down under the blankies next to the lackey’s legs where I have back support and natural warmth. She sleeps still most of the time and lying down along her legs has worked for us – until the other night. The lackey wasn’t quite in the middle of the bed and I failed to notice this in the dark when I climbed up, stood on her head and shoved at her neck until she lifted up the blankets and let me crawl into the warm spot. I slept quite nicely next to her legs for a while but at some point, we drifted over a bit in our sleep and when I stood up for a stretch and a yawn, I managed to slip off the side of the bed. Uh-oh, bad form. I stayed very still and waited to hear if the lackey had woken up. “Are you okay Luce?” came the half asleep mutter from above. Crap – she noticed I fell. I had to save the situation and quickly. I scuttled around to the end of the bed and stayed low until the lackey asked a bit more awake “Lucy, you okay?” then I popped up with the patented Staffy grin on my face in a move that I hoped would convey – tah-dah, I meant to do that, aren’t I clever? The lackey didn’t buy it for a second. “Yeah, yeah, look at you, get up here so I can check your legs aren’t broken”. I hopped up, got a quick frisk and then a big scratch. The lackey pronounced me an idiot and rolled over to go back to sleep. I could not allow this dismissal to go unchallenged and jumped onto her shoulder and tried for a game of scratch me if you can. The half-hearted belly rub I got was enough for me to worm back under her arm and for her to collapse back into slumber. Oh well, I suppose that’s better than her rushing to the toilet from laughing at me too hard.

No comments: